The Hunter Valley in NSW is a great place for a couples getaway trip. Located in one of Australia’s major wine regions, the region is renowned for is wineries, gourmet restaurants, spa retreats and concerts in the vineyards.
We chose to stay at Spicers Vineyards Estate and treated ourselves to a luxury getaway celebrating a special event. This hotel made us feel like we had walked into a dream location. The spacious split-level room had a separate lounge area with fireplace, opening out onto a covered verandah.
The pool area was found in a native bushland setting and was a welcome relief to the heat of summer!
The hotel has its own vineyard and has an option for guests to take breakfast outdoors in the vineyard. Sitting in between the vines, we were surrounded by birdsong as we ate our breakfast accompanied by a bottle of champagne.
Things to do:
- Wine tasting in the vineyards is a treat as many of the estates are in fabulous buildings, either in old colonial houses or modern architecturally designed structures. There are over 120 wineries to choose from ranging from larger well-known brands to small boutique vineyards.
- Visit the Hunter Valley Gardens for a visual feast. Allow yourself plenty of time to stroll around the 25 acres and enjoy all the different areas you will find along the way. We went on a summer evening during the gardens’ “Christmas Lights” display .
- Indulge in a Helicopter flight over the area! We booked a Slattery Helicopters scenic tour & lunch package. Fitting in with our luxury getaway theme, we were taken from our hotel to lunch at one of the vineyard estates, in superstar fashion from door to door. It was our first time in a helicopter and our pilot was fantastic – introducing us to the feeling of the helicopter before she took off up and away.
Places to eat:
- Oishii Japanese Restaurant at the Tempus Two Winery. Thai fish cakes, pad thai, and teppanyaki beef in an outdoor setting for lunch. All was very tasty. Recommend the teppanyaki beef especially it was beautiful. Service was friendly and prompt even though it was a busy time.
- Harrigans Irish Pub – the Hunter Valley’s iconic Irish Pub, surrounded by vineyards. Great atmosphere, and food to match. Make sure you read all the Irish sayings displayed throughout the pub on the walls and the ceilings.
- The Verandah – have the tapas style lunch on the verandah overlooking the vines of the Calais Estate Vineyard. The food is absolutely delicious.
We stayed for three nights, but we felt that another two would have been equally enjoyed. Where will you stay when you go?